Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Deciphering the Value Proposition

I spotted an ad for the “VisioMint” package in April’s Vision Systems Design magazine and spent a few minutes checking out the related web site. It seems to be an interesting machine vision software product, strong on image processing although perhaps less so on vision tools.

But here’s my question: why?

Why should I buy this package as opposed to any of the others out there? What does this do for me that
VisionPro, Sherlock, Halcon, Sapera, MIL, or any of the other packages can’t do? What problem does it solve for me, the customer?

Frankly, I just can’t see what’s special about “
VisioMint”. Don’t get me wrong; I admire people who set out to develop new products and launch new businesses. The world needs that kind of innovation. But, unless I’ve seriously misunderstood something, this is just a “me too” product with no unique selling point.

If you’re going to go to the effort and expense of developing a new product it seems to me it’s essential to (a) identify a particular need that your product meets, and (b) make sure it’s evident to the world just why your product is special.

So, to the guys at JasVisio, the developers of “
VisioMint”, I wish you well, but please tell me why I should buy your vision package.

No comments: