Monday, July 27, 2009

More on the best lens calculator ever

Back on June 30th I posted a link to a free lens calculator from Linos, their MachVis product. Well to my surprise I received a very nice email from the guy who developed said calculator, and that’s Geoff Adams of Linos.

Geoff wanted to make me aware of a couple of other software products that Linos provide free-of-charge through their optical software site. These are PreDesigner and WinLens3D. Both are intended to help with the design of optics systems, and while they don’t set out to explain lens design theory, they do allow a degree of experimentation that certainly improved my understanding.

Most machine vision users are going to be happy with MachVis, which takes some of the trial and error out of determining working distance, field-of-view and so on, but if you want to broaden your knowledge, take a look at the other products.

I should also mention that Geoff has put together some instructional videos – also available on www.opticalsoftware.net – that are worth viewing before diving in to the software.

No comments: