Sunday, August 15, 2010

Help with camera selection

Canadian camera manufacturer Point Grey has launched a “Camera Selector Tool” on their website. I applaud the thinking behind this; it’s difficult to figure out which is the best camera for a given application, but I have my doubts about the way this tool has been executed.

The deficiency I observe is that the selection options are all based around camera specifications – model of sensor, type of interface and so on. Now many of us care little about the sensor employed; we just need the camera to work in our application.

What I suggest is needed is a camera guide that takes as inputs details of the task to be performed – field of view and resolution needed, velocity of target and so on – and then outputs a list of cameras that might do the job.

As far as I know, such a “smart” guide doesn’t exist, so perhaps this is an opportunity for some handy programmer to make a name for him or herself.

Incidentally, National Instruments do have their “Camera Advisor,” but that suffers the same weakness of being product rather than application oriented.

Opportunity is knocking.

No comments: