Thursday, November 4, 2010

Machine vision in your car

No, I don’t mean accessing a networked smart camera from your iPhone while stuck in traffic, though I do think that’s feasible. What I mean is that automobile manufacturers are starting to incorporate cameras and image processing/analysis in cars and trucks that you can buy today.

For the inside line on what’s possible and what’s coming soon, read “Rearview cameras become a front-runner in sales” published in Automotive News, November 1, 2010.

And why do I bring this up? Well simply because automotive applications represent a potentially huge market for machine vision software. If I was running Cognex (and strangely enough, I haven’t yet been offered that job,) I think I’d want to find ways to license pattern matching technology to the automotive Tier 1’s

Opportunity is knocking.

No comments: