Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cables for GigE machine vision

I’ve only recently made the move into GigE vision (I’m not really a “leading edge” kind of guy,) and I wasn’t aware that I needed to think about what type of Ethernet cables I needed. Call me simple-minded if you want, but I though all cables with a RJ45 end connector were the same.

Oh how naive of me.

Turns out that it’s actually quite important to buy CAT6 rather than CAT5 cabling. Apparently even CAT5e, (the highest grade of CAT5,) isn’t as good as CAT6. The main differences seem to be that CAT6 allows more data to be transmitted over longer distances with greater reliability, thanks to it having more than double the frequency range and less significantly attenuation.
If you’re interested in learning more, here are a couple of links:


http://www.lanshack.com/cat5e-tutorial.aspx
http://www.broadbandutopia.com/caandcaco.html

On a separate note, can I just mention that I will be taking a few days off over the Holidays but hope to get a coupple of posts in before New Year.

Best wishes to you all.

No comments: