Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Everything you ever wanted to know, and then some


Who has the time and patience to read a textbook? I wish I did but I have to confess to having several worthy machine vision tomes gathering dust on my bookshelves, unopened since the day Amazon delivered them. Frankly, it’s just so much easier to Google every problem I encounter, though someone did once describe that process as dipping a thimble into Niagara Falls.

But I think I’ve found a great alternative. The University of Edinburgh has a great online resource called “CVonline: The Evolving, Distributed, Non-Proprietary, On-Line Compendium of Computer Vision.” The goal of this site is to gather together in one place all that is known about computer vision so that teachers can direct students to the best sources of knowledge. (It also sounds like a great way to help student avoiding spending on textbooks, though Bruce Bachelor, shortly to release a massive, and massively expensive, book on machine vision, may disagree with the idea.)

The grey hairs among us may recall that it was Edinburgh that gave us HIPR2, an online guide to image processing (where I first learnt about convolution,) so CVonline seems like a logical extension of that effort. There’s just one problem:

With so much information available, there’s nothing left for me to blog about. I guess my work here is done.

No comments: