Sunday, April 1, 2012

4D machine vision camera on the way!

I’m still getting to grips with 3D imaging systems, and now I hear a certain machine vision industry leader is about to unveil a 4D smart camera. This, if my source is to be believed, will incorporate a “Pat-Predict” tool that will warn of nonconforming product before it reaches the camera.

This is something my “Lean Manufacturing” friends have long asked for. As you know, vision systems really just sort bad product from good. They do it well but they do nothing to prevent the waste of labor and material that goes into making a bad part. But with “Pat-Predict”, which uses a novel temporal analysis algorithm, the camera will provide a warning signal when it recognizes that something it hasn’t yet seen may fail the inspection criteria.

I’m very excited about this because it’s going to make the Return on Investment from machine vision even better than it already is. I can’t wait to get my hands on a 4D smart camera!

No comments: