Thursday, February 7, 2013

Why color machine vision is really difficult


Having recently spent a grueling few days fixing a color vision system that wasn’t working, I thought I should share a couple of relevant Vision Systems Design articles. My theory is that this will constitute a form of aversion therapy, thereby ensuring that never again do I have to go through such an experience.

Split into two parts, “Machine-Vision Needs Change with Color Imaging” explains the whole complicated business of Bayer filters, interpolation, rendering, and CIE color spaces. Part 1 is here, and Part 2 here.

Don’t misunderstand me; there is a place for color machine vision, and I don’t mean the dumpster outside my office. But before buying an expensive camera, it is essential to make sure you really need color, and that’s where these articles will deepen your understanding and make you question your assumptions.

So please, read them.

No comments: