Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Designing effective HMI’s for machine vision


We, okay I, talk a lot how about difficult to design illumination, select the right lens, and so on, but the HMI is usually left out of these conversations. HMI, for those of you not “in the know” is the acronym for Human Machine Interface, and it’s the fancy way of saying “screen” or “monitor”.

It seems to me any effective vision system should be conveying information about what it’s doing. Not just inspection results but perhaps some statistics and maybe something about the health of the system. (There are probably many more things I could add to that list if I took the time.)

Well most of us engineers don’t think about HMI design, but judging by a debate I’ve been following at the Automation World blog, “Engineers Agree to Disagree on HMI Direction” January 7th, 2014, we should.

It might help you to read the editorial/opinion piece that started the discussion: that was “HMIs at an Inflection Point?” (October 23rd, 2013).

How do you think this relates to machine vision and vision systems? I’m interested in your comments. Meanwhile, I’m off to watch football on my 62 inch HMI.

No comments: