Tuesday, July 8, 2008

First Tennis, now Cricket

A few days ago I mentioned that machine vision is used at Wimbledon to determine if “the ball was out”. Well I guess I’m a little behind the times, because according to Venkata Subramaniam the technology has been used in the world of cricket since 2001. His blog posting on the subject of “Technology on the Cricket Pitch” gives a lot more detail.

I will return though to my question of false accepts and false rejects (alpha and beta errors, or Type I and Type II errors, depending on your background.) My point is that no system is ever ‘perfect’. The very fact that the ball will occupy multiple pixels in an image means that there is a degree of uncertainty regarding its position, so on rare occasions the system will make a bad call.

Interestingly, in his blog Venkata mentions that the cricket system is used more to enhance the viewer’s entertainment rather than as a substitute for the umpire, whom one supposes is always right, even when he’s wrong.

1 comment:

L. Venkata Subramaniam said...

Thanks for linking to my post. I take this as appreciation from an expert in vision and am really flattered.