Thursday, September 4, 2008

Color application, and a bonus

From the pages of “Test & Measurement World,” (T&MW) comes an interesting report on a color machine vision system developed by EPICVision Solutions.

Now I don’t know about you, but I try to stay away from color. It’s not that I prefer a drab, monochrome world, but frankly, color gets so damn complicated to set up and maintain. My approach is to do as much as possible with colored lights and filters, leaving color cameras as a tool of last resort.

But, there are times when nothing else will do, so it’s prudent to be aware how others have approached these challenges. After reading the article linked above you might like to turn to The Imaging Source and review their white paper on “
How Color Cameras Work” (opens as a pdf.)

And the bonus? I’d like to share this delightful pun from the opening paragraph of the T&MW article, “One color application that is gaining ground is “color matching,” according to … EPICVision Solutions, a St. Louis integrator that designs machine-vision systems for blue-chip customers …”

I wonder if those blue-chip customers have been color matched?

No comments: