Thursday, October 16, 2008

Power over Ethernet

Along with the rise of the GigE standard for camera communication there’s been much chatter about providing power over Ethernet (PoE.) Clearly, this would simplify installation as only one cable would need to be run, making GigE as easy to set up as 1394. The downside is that not a lot of companies are offering PoE cameras.

Well according to this
press release, Baumer now sell PoE GigE cameras. What intrigues me is that this news is not mentioned on the Baumer web site. I’ve scanned through the specs of their TXG GigE camera range – quite an impressive range it is too – and nary a word of PoE.

So do they or don’t they? I guess this is a tease to make me call my local sales rep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I often read your blog with great interest since I also work in the development of industrial vision systems.
We (Qualimatest, www.qmt.ch) mostly use FireWire camera and sometimes CameraLink cameras but until now we've never put a GigE camera.
I'd like to know if you use them a lot and what acquisition sotfware and hardware you use for your systems.

Best regards.

B Grey said...

My GigE experience is limited to evaluations of cameras from Prosilica and Pulnix. I have to say that in both cases I was quite impressed. The cameras were easy to set up, (I used Matrox and National Instruments software,) and capable of high frame rates. In other words, GigE seems to perform exactly as advertised.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that feedback !
Even thought we are not going to going use GigE in neer futur we're going to keep a close look how it evolves the PoE surely can be a nice advantage in some application ;)