Monday, January 19, 2009

Who needs long cables?

I’ve tended to scratch my head when the subject of maximum cable lengths comes up. In my world, which is industrial manufacturing, I can pretty much always put a PC close to the camera. As a result, I’ve never paid much attention to the sales people whose chief claim is that I can put the camera a hundred meters away from the PC. I just tend to wonder why I would ever want to do that.

But from the latest
Basler newsletter comes an interesting story of a machine vision/security application. This concerns the inspection of shipping containers at harbor gates, and clearly it’s an application where cable length matters. You should read the article for full details, but suffice to say that this seems to be a great application for GigE camera technology.

No comments: