Tuesday, November 17, 2009

DVT alternative

DVT fans loved the ability to use scripting to make what was really a pretty basic smart camera do some neat tricks. The InSight line from Cognex might be a better product, but that hasn’t stopped hardcore scripters from seeking an alternative.

A while ago I suggested that the PPT line was worth a look, since their IMPACT software provides a programming option; since then I’ve come across another alternative.

This is the EyeSpector®, developed in Germany by Eye Vision Technology and sold in the US through FSI Technologies.

To tell the truth, the EyeSpector® has been around for a couple of years now, but I have to admit that their color scheme and “Private Eye” marketing rather turned me off. However, I have now taken a look, and I think it’s an interesting DVT alternative.

The camera itself comes from Vision Components, who’ve been churning out smart cameras for quite a few years. The problem they had though was a lack of user friendly (no programming required) software, which is where Eye Vision Technologies came in. They’ve provided a front end which allows both drag-and-drop application development and programming in a form of VB.

Bottom line: it’s not pretty (to my eyes anyway,) but the EyeSpector® smart camera family might be worth investigating.

No comments: