Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Telecentric illumination – you didn’t know you needed it

When I visited the Robots & Vision Show in Chicago back in the summer I was impressed by the telecentric backlight that Edmund Optics had on their stand. (Well OK, I was impressed by the design ingenuity – take a telecentric lens and put an LED at the focal point, then charge nearly $900 to solve a problem most people don’t recognize.)

I guess it isn’t selling too well because I notice that there’s now a video on the EO web site that explains the benefits. It’s worth watching because in certain backlighting applications the light does offer some real advantages (although the presenter, Greg Hollows of Edmund Optics also points some of the disadvantages, which is very honest of him.)

Bottom line? In a precision gauging application this light can be a real life (and career) saver. Watch the video and see if you need it.

No comments: