Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Maximizing machine vision camera performance

As an engineer I’ve always found that if I understand how something works I can usually squeeze a little extra performance from it. I’m not saying that I reengineer my car or PC, I just mean that by knowing how it functions I can get the best from it.

So if you’re working with machine vision cameras I would encourage you to get a grasp of how imagining sensors – CMOS and CCD – do their job. A good place to start would be “
CCD and CMOS sensors become more finely tuned” by Ann R Thryft and published on the website of Test & Measurement World December 1st, 2009. This isn’t about the physics of photon capture but will will help you follow what the chip actually does, as well as providing s sense of where the technology is headed.

Learn a little about how the sensors work and I guarantee you’ll be able to get a little more speed, or a better image, from your camera.

No comments: