Sunday, January 10, 2010

New products from Point Grey

Here’s something I missed in all the clamor around Vision 2009: Point Grey have several interesting new cameras on the way. (Memo to the guys in Richmond, British Columbia: SHOUT LOUDER!)

Okay, the new Grasshopper®2 and Flea®3 don’t set my world on fire, but the Grasshopper Express™ with USB3.0 interface is very interesting, as is the Gazelle™.

The Grasshopper Express™ offers the promise of 2.8 Mp images at 50fps (USB3.0) from a Sony CCD sensor: I can think of quite a few uses for that. The Gazelle™ does even better with 6.2 Mp at 60 fps. Now that I find incredible, although it is using the Sony IMX067 CMOS sensor, which might be a bit of a dampener.

Too early to know about pricing, but my guess is that the Grasshopper Express™ will be under $3,000 and the Gazelle™ perhaps around $5,000. Definitely very competitive products.

No comments: