Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Evidence of recovery in machine vision markets

Strong results today (April 28th) from digital imaging and semiconductor manufacturer Dalsa. Revenue for Q1 2010 was almost $50m, up 31% compared to the same period last year, and net income has jumped an astonishing 175% to $3.7m. (We’re talking Canadian dollars here, but there’s almost parity with the US dollar.)

What’s driving this growth? Well according to CEO Brian Doody, it’s primarily their Asian digital imaging business that’s seeing the rebound, with “flat panel display inspection and machine vision/industrial” leading the way.

I’m not in the forecasting business, but if I was I’d say that similar growth will be seen in Europe and North America during the second quarter. Perhaps it’s still a good time to buy Dalsa stock (and no, I haven’t put my money where my mouth is.)

No comments: