Thursday, May 6, 2010

Machine vision certification?

It seems the AIA have decided to climb aboard the Certification bandwagon, joining organizations such as the Project Management Institute (PMI) and the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) in launching schemes that promise a badge of competence.

Well that’s what it says on the AIA web page about The Vision Show (but you’ll have to scroll to the bottom of the page to find it mentioned.) I couldn’t find any other mention on the AIA website, so I’m not sure how much effort is being put behind this initiative.

Certification has its role; PMI in particular have been very successful at making the Project Management Professional (PMP) accreditation attractive to both employers and those eager to showcase their expertise, but will it work for machine vision?

My heart says, I hope so, but my head begs to differ.

For certification to mean anything it must (a) be hard to achieve, and (b) provide some tangible benefits. I haven’t sat the AIA’s “Certified Vision Professional” exam so I can’t comment on its difficulty, but neither can I see any payback. Will my employer give me a raise for passing? Unlikely. (“What’s a raise?” I hear many of you asking.) Will it increase my employability? Well only if the big players in the machine vision industry have bought in sufficiently to make it a condition of employment. I don’t see any evidence of that just yet.

Perhaps those things will come to pass but right now I have to say that it just looks like a way to get folks to sign up for the AIA tutorials at The Vision Show.

1 comment:

Nathaniel @ project management institute certification said...

Interesting post. For me, Project Management and Machine vision has a very big difference.

So, in speaking of certification, it's difficulty is surely different, too. Also, the use of it will be different especially to our employers.

Well, thanks for sharing!