Sunday, June 27, 2010

Mobile machine vision lens calculator

You knew it was going to happen, and now it’s here: there’s an iPhone App that lets you work out what lens to buy for your vision application. This comes courtesy of Edmund Optics, who presumably believe that engineers on-the-go will be thrilled by the ability to whip out their cell and select a lens.

As you can probably tell, I’m a touch skeptical. I’m not an iPhone user so I haven’t evaluated the App but I find it hard to believe it can outdo the MachVis program from Linos. For me that neat little program, which requires a PC to run on, is the gold standard of lens calculators, and it will take more than an Edmund Optics sales aid to budge me.

Incidentally, I should thank Andy Wilson for alerting me to this new. Here’s a link to his blog posting, “Apple app sorts lens configurations.”

No comments: