Sunday, September 19, 2010

A PC for machine vision


I don’t like putting desktop computers out in a plant environment. There’s dust and dirt and vibration, and what I think is the biggest killer of them all, heat. But what’s the alternative?

Well I like the look of the EOS-1000 from Adlink Technology. This appears to be a robust and compact little box ready-made to talk to your cameras. Specifically, it comes with 4 Power over Ethernet (PoE) ports which let you grab images from your PoE cameras with just a single cable.

As far as I can tell, there’s no OS installed, which some will like because it gives them the chance to install Linux, but others will grumble about because they have to get their local IS guy to install Win XP or 7. But that detail aside, this box looks as though it will survive and thrive in most factory environments.


For pricing info, use the link I provided to get to Adlink (which is where I lifted the pic from – I don’t think they’ll mind,) then click their “Get a Quote” button.

No comments: