Sunday, October 17, 2010

Vision sensor application

Here’s another article about my favorite sensor, the Cognex Checker, being put to work. Under the heading “Vision Sensors Eliminate Rejection of Good Parts in Inspecting Wheel Fasteners,” (Quality Digest, October 6th, 2010,) we learn how Maclean Vehicle Systems (MVS) are using Checkers to verify the quality of threaded fasteners.

I don’t like to repost too much from other articles on the web – I’d rather just point you in their direction – but in this case I will make an exception. I do so because I fervently believe that machine vision needs to be easier to implement, and the article supports me with a quote from an MVS engineer: “Some [vision sensors] … had a high learning curve like the vision systems that we have used in the past. We selected Cognex Checker vision sensors because they are very easy to program and operate.”

Sophisticated image processing has it’s place, and one might argue that the Checker tools are pretty advanced, but the people who actually put machine vision to work just want to get it up and running quickly and with as little aggravation as possible.

Now excuse me while I go to buy some Cognex stock.

No comments: