Monday, December 6, 2010

A new source for machine vision software

I wasn’t aware that there was a shortage of software products for developers of machine vision systems, but vision guru and entrepreneur Ned Lecky seems to think otherwise. Why else would he be offering the world his Voyant Vision library of machine vision software functions?

When it comes to vision and programming, Ned really knows his stuff, so I need to download neither the Windows nor the Linux version to know that it’s probably pretty darned good. Better yet, he’s making it available for free. What could be better?

But being the cynic that I am, I have to wonder about his motivation. I suspect it’s going to be a pretty effective marketing tool, and Ned will probably be hoping to sell consulting services to those who can’t get everything working just they way they want. In fact this is much the say approach that the guys behind
RoboRealm took. Launch a free product and build some buzz, then impose a modest charge for use of the software. The difference though is that while RoboRealm aimed squarely at the hobbyist market Ned seems to be pitching Voyant Vision directly at industrial/professional users.

One last snippet for you: I’m a little curious about the use of the word “Voyant.” As best I can tell, it’s a made up word, but I can’t help feeling it’s a little too similar to “voyeur”: there’s a definite vision connotation, but will it lead the right sort of buyers to Ned’s door?

No comments: