Monday, June 13, 2011

Automotive vision applications on a roll


The use of machine vision for collision avoidance seems to be accelerating. Three weeks ago I summarized advances from Volvo, Continental and Mobileye (“Machine vision in automotive safety”) and now I learn that Subaru are already on the bandwagon. Indeed, it seems they may have been first, offering their EyeSight system since 2010.

For an entertaining description of how the system benefits the driver, along with the only photo I’ve seen of the camera installation, take a look at “Scary road test shows Subaru safety system works,” published in Automotive News (AN) back on May 23rd.

At $1,250, AN thought the system was expensive. My view is, that’s a bargain for a stereo vision system, though admittedly you could buy several Kinect’s for the same amount of money.

However, still no word on how it works in the dark. I think I’ve said this before, but I would expect to see the cameras paired with some IR illumination, otherwise what’s the point?

But leaving practical details to one side, this shows that anyone looking for a machine vision niche with huge potential should start in their driveway.

No comments: