Sunday, June 12, 2011

I should buy a Kinect

Regular readers know that the Kinect, (a low cost, 3D imaging sensor from Microsoft, for those of you who’ve been living in another galaxy,) fascinates me. I see great potential for this device as a very inexpensive way of getting 3D vision into the manufacturing environment. And according to “When human gestures direct machines” published in Machine Design, May 19th, 2011, Microsoft share my vision.

Unfortunately there are no specifics in the article, which leads me to think that Microsoft aren’t actually working on this themselves. Instead, I suspect they’re just trying to roll out an idea in the hope that someone else will pick it up and run with it.

Some of you will know that machine vision software house MVTec have already been exploring ways to utilize the Kinect, as reported in Vision Systems Design back in Aprill 2011. Of course, we shouldn’t forget that the technology behind the Kinect actually came from Primesense, which leads me to wonder who I need to talk to about my industrial application; Primesense, MVTec or Microsoft?


Sadly though, this is all just idle dreaming because I don’t yet own a Kinect. Neither does my workload allow me to explore what I could actually do with the device. But if there are any Venture Capital people reading, it would take little encouragement for me to break away and pursue the opportunities that the Kinect offers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Also Tordivel is joining companies supporting Kinect: http://tordivelblog.wordpress.com/2011/06/10/scorpion-kinect-3d-in-beta-version/

catheter tube said...

Unfortunately there are no specifics in the article, which leads me to think that Microsoft aren’t actually working on this themselves

B Grey said...

@ catheter tube (interesting choice of identity!) - I think you are absolutely right. Microsoft are just rolling out the idea and hoping other people pick it up and run with it, which I'm quite tempted to do.