Sunday, October 2, 2011

Don’t use a sledgehammer to crack a nut


We’re machine vision professionals! No job is too big or too small for our extensive image capture and processing experience! But yes, sometimes we do get carried away and, dare I say it, over-engineer solutions. Sometimes all a task needs is the right sensor.

But what sensor, and how to use it?

Well allow me to point you to a YouTube channel – emxinc’s Channel – that shows how color and UV sensors can be used to solve a variety of presence/absence type applications. There are over a dozen short videos, and they’re not getting a lot of views. (Perhaps they need a dog that barks “I wuv Emx.”)

I do realize none of these will knock your socks off. Oscar material they are not, but I suspect that at the same time you’ll be like me and think these are rather neat ideas. After all, simple is usually best.

No comments: