Sunday, December 18, 2011

Is your mailto: broken?


I do most of my solutions shopping on line. I Google the problem I need to solve, browse a few websites, and if something looks interesting I click on the contact provided. It’s usually either sales@avisioncompany.com or info@myvisioncompany.com, and that lets me shoot off an email letting the company know I’m interested in their products.

And then what?
Well probably 4 times out of 5, nothing. Zilch. Nada. Silence.

This drives me mad. What is the point of providing a contact email address on your website if no one ever reads the email?

Time was, I’d wait a day or so and then think, “No one ever got back to me from Avisioncompany so let me find their website again and see if there’s a number I can call.” These days though, I’m too lazy, so if you don’t read and respond to my email, you won’t hear from me again.

I’m not going to do a name-and-shame because so many companies are guilty of this slapdash practice. But do yourselves a favor; send an email to the contact on your website and check that it goes through.

Believe me, a lot of companies are losing a lot of business because they don’t check the mailto: on their site.

No comments: