Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Curious about Ethernet Powerlink?


GigE I feel I know, but Ethernet Powerlink was a new term to me, so I’ve done some digging.

It was an article in Design News called “Machine Vision Using Ethernet Powerlink” (May 30th, 2013,) that got my attention. This discussed how the Cognex 7000 series InSight has “built-in support” for Powerlink, but as the writer seemed to assume I was already familiar with this there wasn’t much in the way of explanation. So I turned to Wikipedia.

This told that Ethernet Powerlink is basically real-time Ethernet, which sounds like a good thing in machine control. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_Powerlink if you want to read.) It also referenced the Ethernet Powerlink Standardization Group, or EPSG for short.

Their website (http://www.ethernet-powerlink.org/) provides some good info about what it is, and why you might want to use it. I haven’t digested it all yet, but I do intend to, and that’s because I have a feeling we’ll be hearing more about Powerlink.

No comments: