Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Sometimes you just have to vent


On occasion developing a machine vision application can be frustrating. Scope creep is one issue, when the customer throws a new defect type at you during the final run-off and says, “If it can’t find this I’m not paying for it.” Then there are the more technical problems, like dealing with batch-to-batch shade variation, or the irritating niggles of configuring IP addresses for GigE cameras. (I’m going out on a limb here and hoping that you deal with all this too.) So every now and then I feel the need to vent.

What I didn’t realize though is that venting can improve the way your hardware performs.

I bet you’re surprised by that too but it must be true. Why else would Gore, (yes, the people who make GORE TEX® fabrics, run a webcast called, “Enhancing Sensor Reliability Through Venting”?

I learned about this from an email. I couldn’t find anything on their website (http://www.gore.com/en_xx/products/venting/index.html) although I’m sure Google will find it. If you want to know how venting helps, that is.

2 comments:

winfred said...

convincing the custommer is the hardest task here

Amos said...

It helps to blow off some steam.