Thursday, November 19, 2009

Upgrades all round

It must be something to do with the season: it seems like everyone is upgrading the machine vision software. First I got an email from Matrox telling me of some new capabilities in their MIL package, then Cognex follow up with version 6.0 of VisionPro.

To the MIL upgrades first: I might be oversimplifying, but the big things to my eyes are the addition of a bead tracking routine and support for 3D imaging. Of themselves they’re not huge advances. Bead tracking is one of those tools that from time to time I wish I had, while the addition of 3D imaging tells us that Matrox believe this is an application area with growth potential.

The VisionPro 6.0 release is a little more exciting. First, they’ve opened it up to images of greater bit depth. In other words, you can now feed it 16-bit images. This makes it possible to work with thermal images and, yes you guessed it, 3D. They’ve also added a line scan calibration tool, which I can see being very useful, (for line scan work, obviously!) And finally, VisionPro now supports 64-bit operating systems. That’s not something most users have been clamoring for, but it does show some forward thinking.

So which product is best? There’s no simple answer but keep checking back because at some point I hope to do a more formal comparison.

1 comment:

Matrox Imaging said...

Not sure 16-bit image support, line-scan calibration and 64-bit operating system support qualifies as “exciting” in this day and age. Other software kits, like MIL, have had these for a while.