Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A linescan camera for only $50

Yes it’s true, you can buy a new linescan camera for just fifty bucks. There is of course a catch, or perhaps it would be better described as a limitation: the sensor has just 128 pixels.

That will probably exclude it from the more challenging web inspection applications, but I can imagine more than a few situations where I need to monitor a narrow strip that moves beneath my camera – boot lace inspection, for example!

Interestingly enough, the target market for this budget cam is robotics enthusiasts – those technogeeks who spend their spare time building autonomous vehicles. I’ve read no end of blog postings where such folks attempt to give their creation stereo vision, but this is the first time I’ve seen line scan for amateurs.

If you’re interested in learning more, you should visit www.parallax.com. You might also like to browse the “Bot Thoughts” blog, which is where I first came across the TSL1401 Linescan Imaging Sensor.

No comments: