Monday, April 5, 2010

Coming soon - domestic machine vision

If you grew up watching “The Jetsons” you’ll be familiar with their robot maid, Rosie. I was always desperate for a Rosie that would make my bed and tidy my room – still am in fact - but judging by this movie from UC Berkley it seems I may not have to wait much longer.

Yes, the movie shows a robot folding towels, not making the bed, but how much of a stretch can that be?



The comments on the video seem to have been posted by people with little grasp of the real potential for this kind of technology. I can see many areas where this would be very useful, healthcare, for example, or the hospitality industry.

If you want to get a better understanding of the technology, a good start point is “
Robot developed that folds towels” posted on the R&D mag website, April 5th 2010.

As my grandmother used to ask, “Whatever will they think of next?”

No comments: