Monday, October 25, 2010

More on encoder technology

This isn’t strictly machine-vision, but it is motion control and integration-related so I’m covering it anyway. (Hey, it’s my blog and I’ll do as I please.)

A few days back I mentioned how Pepperl & Fuchs were using datamatrix codes as the basis of a long range position sensing technology (Novel use for Data-matrix codes), so this builds on that post.

In the September issue of Control Engineering, contributing editor Charlie Masi explores how electromagnetic encoders are one way of getting position feedback over long distances. (“Electromagnetic Linear Encoders To The Rescue”, September 10th, 2010.) When I discussed this type of challenge previously I was a bit hazy about the possible applications but Charlie presents a good one. He suggests aircraft assembly would benefit from the ability to traverse long distances with high position accuracy, a suggestion that makes sense to me.

As I say, this is not strictly machine vision, but it strikes me as being potentially useful, so take a look.

No comments: